Friday, July 24, 2015

40 Days to Go!



Two weeks ago a friend came to the apartment for a photo shoot so i would have a head shot for my application for ICBB. This is just one of the photos she took. I have never done anything like this, and had a blast. She had never done photos like this, and knew nothing about bootblacking other than what I had shared with her. I think she did an amazing job. Can't wait to see the rest. 

40 days from now, we will be boarding a plane to Dallas for ILSb-ICBB. I am slowing getting things ready, and am so excited. Can't wait to meet the rest of the Class of 2015, see old friends and make new friends. I've given a lot of thought to this particular contest. I have never been more ready for something in my life. There are still a few things to gather, figure out packing, and make sure that our four legged children are taken care of while out of town. It will come together

I have so many things that I want to accomplish that at times I feel overwhelmed. I have watched the drama that has been going on in our community, and listened/read as people complain about things. There is a saying that says, 'Be the change that you want to see.' I want to be that change. You will not see me posting publicly about the different situations that are going on. What you will see is action. I will be reaching out to new bootblacks that are wanting to learn. 

When I came into the leather community I was surrounded by people that took the time to teach me what I wanted to learn, even when I didn't know i wanted to learn. LOL When I moved to Atlanta, I became a member of Atlanta PEP. LadyD had a motto that hung up on the wall in PEP that said "EACH ONE, TEACH ONE". That was 15 yrs ago, and I still remember that. She ingrained it into the members, and I still try to live by the philosophy. If LadyD, Mistress Kay, Master Doug Harris, boy bob, and other members of PEP and Sanctuary of the Dark Angel had not taken the time to teach me and others hungry for knowledge, I would not be here today. 

Then I moved to Phoenix and met some amazing bootblacks. They shared their time and knowledge to teach me not only the technical skills needed to become a bootblack, but to hold me accountable on my actions. Without them in my life, I would not be where I am now. Bootpig, Moe, Tabitha Arie, Bear, Whisper, Jayson DaBoi, Pony, and Redwarrior taught me well. It is my hope that I can pay them back by paying forward what they gave me. 

If you see me out and about, come up and introduce yourself. If you want to learn about bootblacking, no matter where you live, ask me. I will share my knowledge with you to the best of my ability. 

Keep on Shining On!

No comments:

Post a Comment